Monday, September 8, 2008

Silver Beaver Award!

So I've been meaning to get to the computer and post this awesome event, but it's been so crazy lately so I finally made it. Saturday my dad received the Silver Beaver Award. I wasn't sure what it was so I looked it up before we went so I know what it was and why he received it. So here is what the Silver Beaver Award is...
The Silver Beaver Award is the council-level distinguished service award of the Boy Scouts of America. Recipients of this award are registered adult leaders who have made an impact on the lives of youth though service given to the council. The Silver Beaver is an award given to those who implement the scouting program and perform community service though hard work, self sacrifice, dedication, and many years of service. It is given to those who do not actively seek it. Award: The award consists of a silver beaver suspended from a blue and white ribbon worn around the neck.
One of the things that stood out most to me was when he said something to the fact of "in all due respect to Mr. Obama and Mr. McCain, they are not the ones that are going to make a difference, but it's the youth, those you teach that will make the difference."
That hit me as being a parent and making sure I do everything that I can to help and teach my children.
The lunch was amazing, and Craig and Whitney snuck out to get some ice cream from the creamery. The funny thing about that was that after everyone had received their award they spot lighted the stage that all of the recipients had been seated on which was right in front of us. They had them all stand and then they had a man (who did an amazing job) sing a thank you song, but when the spot lights hit them it was shining right on our table because we were sitting directly in front of them. So as everyone around us is looking right at us, Craig, McKenzie, and Whitney all slowly put their ice cream on the table realizing that everyone is looking at us. Not Kathryn, with no shame she just kept on eating her ice cream. This was not a small gathering. Look at the back ground and you can see part of the ballroom. It was so funny. What a great day. I love you dad. Congratulations!















4 comments:

Ashley said...

That is so neat. Your dad is great and so is your whole family. Sounds like you had a fun time.

Tender Mercies said...

Wow! Congrats to your dad! Tell him I said hello. I sure miss all of you!

The Wyler Family said...

that's really neat! you have a great family!

Katheryn Wiederhold said...

I have the coolest dad ever! I am such a lucky one! I had such a wonderful time that day supporting father...although we got ripped off on the dessert.