Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering 9/11



What a day to remember. I will never forget that day. I was on my mission serving in Loraine OH with Sister Horton. We were told not to leave the apartment due to one of the planes going down on the border of our mission. So we were told to stay put till further notice. You know I was sheltered and I don't think that I really understood the magnitude of what was happening due to the lack of media access at that time in my life. You really are in the world, but not of the world. My comp had gotten really sick with her diabetes that night and we ended up in the emergency room and while we were waiting I couldn't help but see the TV monitors that were all on and they were replaying the events of the day over and over and over again. I was horrified to see people jumping out of windows and the second plane flying into the world trade center. Did I mention that this was the night we were supposed to be getting transfer calls and our zone leaders apartment had flooded as well as the 2 apartments above them. We got home and while saying comp prayer I heard a big thud, I turned over to see my comp passed out on the floor. Oh what a night. I couldn't sleep all night listening for my comps breathing and thinking of the horrible terrorist attack that had taken place that day. I got up the next morning and was reading my scriptures and I remember reading a scripture that put my mind at ease...
Alma 36:37 "Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people whatsoever land they may be in: yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever, Amen."
This really put into perspective for me that God didn't make this happen, those who were responsible had agency; however God is mindful of all of those that were affected by that horrible act. I know that we have a merciful God one that is mindful of all of us everywhere. I feel that I was blessed to be in a place where I could have this kind of perspective on this horrible tragedy and grateful for the gospel and all that it adds and teaches me in my life today.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Thanks for sharing that 9/11 story.

Sounds like Molly had a blast with your family, what great parents and sisters.

My kids have never had thrush so I wouldn't have known either. Hope it goes away fast.