Saturday, November 8, 2008

Giving Thanks: Day 8 {Trials}

I may kick myself for this later, but while not ever thrilled to see a trial coming my way it's amazing that by the end I am able to look back and think of what I have learned and how grateful I am that the Lord has humbled me and has given me greater strength and knowledge. My brother has told us a story of his mission and how he had a companion that would always pray for trials my bother simply said "I never said amen to those prayers!" Another funny story is while my brother was on his mission I was also serving a mission and one night in family prayer trying to think of what she should say when it come us this was her prayer "bless them that they may have trials" THANK YOU CYD! apparently she had learned that you should pray for trials in seminary and rather than praying for herself to receive trials, she prayed for us, now she is in the mission filed and I wounder if she would like us to return the favor...J/K. But in all seriousness I'm so grateful for the lessons I have been taught though big and small trails. One of my all time favorite quotes was given by Elder Maxwell, he said...
The very act of choosing to be a disciple can bring to us a certain special suffering... suffering, when it is part of a divine tutorial, can be sanctifying in the sense of developing the very virtues a particular disciple needs to learn... if we are serious about our discipleship, Jesus will eventually request each of us to do those very things which are most difficult for us to do... Sometimes the best people have the worst experiences, because they are the most ready to learn"
I am grateful for those lessons I have learned though large trails and small everyday trails!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Sometimes I think I should pray for trials, because I know when we are given them the Lord thinks we are ready to be tried and tested to become great, but it's so hard to want to take on a trial!