Wednesday, November 18, 2009

House For Sale!

Monday morning I was temped to put a sign in the front yard. For the 2nd time in 2 months that our basement has flooded. Remember this... http://therosanderfamily.blogspot.com/2009/10/with-home-ownership-comes.html
Ya well this time we got this...

Water all over the wood floor in front and underneath the refrigerator.
Water pooring out of the celing and bulging all the way down half of the basment celing.
The seem that spilt where my water fountain was coming out of.
The bucket that was this full with in the 20 to 30 min after I found the water.


All the buckets, towels and shop vac that I had out to help me clean up and catch the mess.


So here's the story:
Monday morning I came out of my room shortly after Kris left and was puttering around the kitchen and family room doing a quick pick up and getting the girls breakfast, when I heard a funny water running sound. I was just thinking it was Molly in the bathroom washing her hands, but it wasn't fitting. I started to walk around the kitchen (stepping over the towel Kris had put on the floor to clean up water that was on the floor when he came out) I could tell it was coming from downstairs and though it might just be the water heater, but it just sounded funny. I went down to check it out and water was POURING out of the ceiling. It wasn't just a drip it was a full on faucet on full blast coming form the ceiling. I stood there for half a sec and figured it was not on the side of the house where the bathrooms are so it was not coming from the bathroom. I also checked the floor in our workout room (where the last flood was, no water). Then I remebered the towel on the floor infront of the refrigerator. I put buckets down to catch the main stream of water and I ran upstairs and tried to pull the refrigerator out, but couldn't get it out. I opened the freezer and there was no ice in my ice bucket just water it was so full it was spilling out. i got a cup and started to empty it until I could pull it out with out too much damage. I tried Kris at work but he was busy. So I called my mom... Still trying to pull out the refrigerator by myself. She assured me that I had to get the refrigerator out. I told her I would call her back. I called my sweet neighbor from across the street and asked if she could come help me... I think my adrenalin kicked in because just after I got of the phone with her I got it out. I turned off the water coming to the fridge and called my friend back to tell her not to worry (being as she was tying to get her son off to school.) I got back downstairs and started the clean up. I got towels down, more buckets and then started to suck up everything I could with the shop vac. Meanwhile every time I came upstairs I had another drawer emptied on the floor, more messes and more work. The girls were loving having free reign over my house. Margaret my sweet friend came over with her shop vac and itsy bitsy baby and helped me out. I think I had gotten most of it up and I think I was really lucky to catch it when I did... the floor didn't suffer too much damage. We did have to pull up the carpet to dry it and the mat out but we were really lucky. Did I mention it's new carpet! We have spent so much time effort and money in the basement and we have worked so hard the last 3 weeks. I had just told Kris on Sunday night "This feels so good. I feel like we have really made progress. It's looking really good." Oh boy eat my words. So long story made short apparently it was our icemaker (we still need the plumber to come and give us the affirmative on that and make sure that's the only thing) soaked through the fridge, out of the drip pan though the wood floor the walls sheetrock and on to the floor. Like I said we were lucky to not have damage to our floor. I did have to dry out the couch as well it was leaking out of the lights and on to the couch, but it all dried just fine the sheetrock will have to all be redone. We have to have the wood floor replaced at worse and refinished at best (they still need to come and look.) and we need a new ice maker way small part, but still is $250! I would have paid that first over now thinking we need to make a insurance clame... AWESOME!
You know if this would have happend a month ago it wouldn't have been such a big deal to me, but we have worked so hard and it had been really difficult and I have felt so sick and still tried to work down there and I just feel like 50 steps forward 100 steps back. We now get to redo everything we had done... and we still are not done so we still have the remaining stuff... back at square one! Monday night I just cried! I'm doing better, but still fell really defeated. I think the other thing is that money really could have been put somewhere else fun that I wanted it... my chairs, cabinets, I can go on and on and Kris reminds me it's not me paying for it... but what he doesn't understand is that I am! I know he makes the money, but I would have like it other places. Well what do you do? pick yourself up brush yourself off and keep going. I know in the eternal scheme of things this is really nothing to worry or fret about, but you know I feel like I have sacrificed time with my kids, work out time, health and much more to work on this project and I should have just sat at the toilet and flushed the money down!


7 comments:

Neysa said...

Oh wow Lindsay....I am SO sorry your house had to do all of that. It sure looks like a nice home. It sounds like you have been busy trying to get your house back in order again. I would be SO FRUSTRATED if that happened to me...you never know lol. I bet you are handling that pretty well. Good Luck with it. WAY TO GO STELLA on the post below this. It looks like she is pretty healthy. She is a doll. You have the most BEAUTIFUL girls Lindsay.

EJNielsen said...

You're a trooper! I had no idea freezers could make that much ice! Hang in there!

The Wyler Family said...

wow! i am so sorry! what a headache.

Posh Ideas said...

I'm so sorry! Houses are really a pain aren't they? Hey I wanted to get your address would you email me at posh_petals@yahoo.com Thanks!

Kate said...

I am really sorry to hear about this.... no fun at all and so discouraging. hang in there, you are a hard worker and it will all pay off in the end. best of luck, and so sorry again to hear baout your set back. :(

Brooke said...

Holy COw! You weren't lying. WHat a mess and not to mention huge pain. I am so sorry. I should have been over there helping you. THanks for the pictures I can't believe how awful. SO sorry! xoxo

joanna said...

what a pain! I'm so sorry. I can't believe what a mess it made. hope it gets better:)