Monday, October 5, 2009

Conference Weekend.

Oh I love Conference weekend. I love the feel and smell of the air the relaxed feel of just sitting together and listening to such inspiring words of the Prophets and Apostles. When we were planing our trip to Powell I told Kris I had to be back for conference. I didn't want my parents to have to wrestle with the girls during conference and I wanted to be home with them.
Sat morning we got up and I made German Pancakes for breakfast....so good high in fat, but hey it's conference weekend. Then we enjoyed the 1st session and the girls were actually really good. Then Kris went out to get the lawn cut and taken care of and there was an ice cream truck that went up our street... K, I totally remember those when I was a kid and I have not seen them for years. I stuck my head out the door and asked if he wanted to take Molly out there. Molly picked a snow cone... funny girl. The second session was really good too. Stella was sleeping and Molly occupied with a movie. I know I try but how can I expect a 3 year old to sit and watch all of conference? So then Kris went to Priesthood with his brother (who didn't go to Powell due to he and his wife having twins a few months ago, We totally missed them) and his grandpa. I had a babysitter and then did some random running around and shopping. That night when I got home Kris had gotten home just before me and had put the remaining unsleeping child in bed and then we got to just hang out... after all no 9am church to get everyone ready for. I love that.
Sunday.... Ok I know this is kind of funny, but I loved it and think it will become a new family tradition. Sat night I had to Kris's dismay put up the tent in our living room. He kept asking me what I was doing and i told him that he would see. So Molly was totally enthralled with the tent. She kept asking why the tent was up. I kept telling her I would tell her in a little bit. I make our homemade buttermilk pancakes (thanks Cam) with homemade syrup, SOOOOOOOO YUMMY! I put it all on trays and then took it to the tent so we cold eat. I opened the little kids scriptures and talked to Molly about how a long time ago people didn't really have nice houses like we do today. We talked about King Benjamin who was a great kind and leader. He was getting old and wanted to talk to all of his people and tell them the things that he was feeling Heavenly Father wanted them to know. So he told everyone to come so that they could hear what he would say. I told Molly how he stood on a tall tower and everyone put their tents with the door open toward the tower so they could hear what King Benjamen would say. Then I told her all about President Monson and how he was a prophet form God and that he was going to talk to us, just like a long time ago when King Benjamin talked to his people. I told her how important it was to listen to what he had to say, and that he would tell us such amazing things. It was actually really fun. I let Molly come and go and told her that she did need to listen as soon as President Monson was speaking. She did pretty well. Both Molly and Stella love the tent. It did come down as soon as conference was over and Molly has been asking about it ever since. I feel that I was spiritually feed. I loved all of the talks. I loved to listen to President Monsen and I loved the heart surgeon that talked about heart transplants and then related it to being spiritually hardened. I actually loved them all. It's so hard to feel like I want to narrow it down. I can't wait to read them again. Oh I love the fall I love conference. What an amazing blessing it is in my life.
K sorry I forgot to flip this pic. Oh well. Our Sat morning German Pancakes.
Breakfast time.
Molly on her way out to help daddy with the lawn.
Ice cream truck.
Molly and her snow cone.
Sunday morning breakfast.
My girls loving the tent. Let's pray and eat mom! Really! Ya gotta love conference... you don't have to do your hair and you can hang out in sweats all day long!


6 comments:

Katheryn Wiederhold said...

Wow, I wish I was there to join in the tent fun. Cute pictures. I love conference and fall all at the same time. Its awesome. We had german pancakes to with they yummy syrup. Its like its a Baird tradition. Love you!

Camille said...

that was awesome. those breakfasts look super yummy. i guess i need the german pancake recipe with the yummy syrup recipe too! share the love girl!

Ashley said...

Yea for yummy conference breakfasts! You are always so fun! Sounds like a good weekend. Did you get the tent idea from our last conference blog post? Either way, so great!!

Neysa said...

AMEN! I LOVE conference weekend. I was just telling myself today how nice it was to not have to get my kids ready and lay around in pj's all day and to be lazy pretty much. I was also thinking how I wish conference were more then twice a year. I really enjoyed listening to them too...AMAZING, especially Holland....GREAT. He was GREAT. Those pancakes sure look YUMMY! Good for you for being a cute sunday school teacher teaching your kids....LOOK AT YOU! Talk about AMAZING! It looked like you guys had a fun relaxing conference weekend...Good for you guys!

Pres. & Sis. Baird said...

It's so fun to see your kids grown up and parents. You are all better at it than I was.
Fun ideas! Fun traditions. I love sharing ideas.
You're a good mom.
Love you
Mom

Steph H said...

Wow, you are incredible!! What a great idea with the tent and such a fun way to teach your kids the importance of listening to the prophets. I'm so impressed. I love that idea. I love that it's something they'll remember too and that it connects them with people in the Book of Mormon. How do you come up with such great ideas?? Will you give me Mom lessons so that my family can be as great as yours?