Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mothers of Faith


So I am the beehive adviser and we keep talking to the girls about personal progress, and how important it is for them to do and they should be working on it, however, I feel kind of like a hypocrite because I have never done this program. I did the one they had when I was in young women, but they have changed it quite a bit since then. I have decided that if I'm asking the girls to do it, then I should be doing it as well. So I have been working at my personal progress, but there are several thing that you are supposed to journal, and since this is my journal I will just record my entries for personal progress on my blog.
I read in Alma 56, and 57 about Helaman's stripling warriors, and then read over "The Family; A Proclamation to the World" about what it said on mothers and the value is Faith. I have also talked to other mothers about how to teach our children to have faith and this is what I have learned. What I have come up with on how to teach my children to have faith is not by word ONLY but also by deed. I believe our actions speak louder than words. I know that my kids hear what I say and I know it's important to teach them how to have faith by reading the scriptures, saying our prayers and attending church, and the list can go on and on.
I go to church every week knowing that I will go home with not much more than a headache from trying to keep my kids quiet and entertained, and it would be a lot easier to come home and put them down for their naps, but I go every week, because whether I get anything out of the meeting or not, my children see that I go, and they will understand that it's vital that we go to church and that will help them to gain faith and feel the spirit in their lives. I also need to read the scriptures with them, and have family prayer, and they need to be taught to feel the spirit and as they do, they will learn for themselves to have faith. I am grateful for this time to reflect on how I can teach my children to have faith. To sum it up what I think it takes to teach your children to have faith, is to be a mother of faith!

No comments: