Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day!

Memorial day is always a fun Baird family event! My aunt Chris is in charge of this Holiday (everyone has their own Holiday that they take and are in charge of. It's the same every year.) Each family has their own color to represent what family  you come from and it is assigned from the color while. Our family is Orange! Every year my mom seems to find something darling that is orange for my kids to wear and she did this year as well, thanks mom! We weren't able to make it down to the farm where they had met that morning to learn about my grate grandfather and great grandmother. The kids didn't get up in time and I didn't dare wake them up... You all know how that goes. But they met on my great grandfather and great grand mothers old farm property. I was sad we weren't able to go down because I remember going there and visiting them. I even remember being a young girl and I had gone down with my grandpa and running through the field I had gotten a tick in my leg. I remember sitting at my great grandmothers table (she always had a bowl of pine nuts on her table) and Grandpa and great grandpa got a match and burned that tick out of my leg. I remember being really scared, but trusting them completely... well mostly. I just love that every year we learn of these amazing people that have gone before us and have left a legacy to fallow. Chris always does a great job with this. 
Because we weren't able to go with my family early that morning, on our way down for the afternoon activities we stopped by Kris's grandmothers grave (Nana) and left some flowers there. Kris was 15 when she passed away, but I always hear such amazing stories about her. I love that we have these people to hang on to, to remember who we are, and where we came from. It's always good to be reminded. 
When we got to the park where the rest of the gang was we got lots of food, sang some of the fun songs Chris always has for us and went over this years Baird family stats. She keeps track of everything. Who started school (like the little kids) who got baptized, who graduated, got married, any awards, and on and on! It's so cool because I feel like I know what has happened in the past year. It's always so much fun! Then we did all of our pictures Grand kids, and great grand kids. I just love this Holiday, one that we can remember those that have gone before us and paved the way for us. Both of my kids have been named after ancesters (middle names) but It's because I want them to remember. What's in a name? One of my favorite Scriptures is Helaman 5:6 "I h ave given unto you the names of our first parents who came out of the land of Jerusalem: and this I have done that when you remember your names ye may remember them; and when ye remember them ye may remember their works; and when ye remember their works ye may know how that it is said, and also written, that they were good."
That sums up perfectly how I feel. What an amazing Holiday! What fun we had and I look forward to this every year!

No comments: